Cream of Asparagus Soup / Crema di Asparagi
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small white onion, minced
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds white asparagus, washed, ends trimmed and spears cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup whole or evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons finely minced parsley
- Salt to taste
- Grinding white pepper
- Cracklings of fried prosciutto di Parma for garnish on top (Start with 1/4 pound prosciutto, sliced or diced.)
- Melt the butter in a soup pot and add the onion and potatoes. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes taking care not to let the onions of potatoes brown. Add the asparagus but save 4 of the tips, cut them lengthwise into two and set aside.
- Add the broth, cover the pot and cook the mixture over low heat for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are very soft.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Pour in the milk, parsley, salt and pepper and mix well. Re-heat the soup until it is hot and ladle it into individual soup bowls and garnish the tops with two of the asparagus tips and some of the cracklings.
This recipe was featured on Cream of Asparagus Soup / Crema di Asparagi - Episode 2102.