Crescionda is a very old recipe and is regarded as a typical carnival food from Spoleto. There are numerous versions on how to make it. It is a very soft almost budino (pudding) type dessert that is eaten with a spoon and has a surprise look after it is baked.
Serves 6 to 8
- 4 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (Perugina brand preferred)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grated zest of one lemon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup Sambuca
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup crushed amaretti cookies
- Brush a nine inch cake pan with butter and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the sugar until foamy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, zest and salt together and beat into egg mixture. Beat in the Sambuca and milk until blended. Fold in the amaretti cookies.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake about 20-25 minutes. The cake will not rise, should be a bit jiggly in the center and have moved away from the side of the pan when done. Cool.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2212.
No comments on this recipe.