Escarole, Olive and Mozzarella Cheese Pizza
TOPS ONE 15-INCH PIZZA
- 1 pound escarole, cored and well washed, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella (fior di latte), cut into small pieces
- 12 pitted oil-cured black olives, chopped
- Put the escarole leaves in a soup pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring the mixture to a boil. Boil the leaves until they are wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drain, cool and squeeze the leaves dry, then chop them coarsely and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in the soup pot and cook the garlic until it softens; stir in the red pepper flakes and the escarole and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Salt to taste. Transfer the escarole to a bowl to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- If using a baking stone, place the stone in the oven and preheat it at least 30 minutes before baking the pizza.
- Roll out half of a batch of the Dough for Whole Wheat Pizza and place it on a 14 or 15-inch pizza pan, or, if using a baking stone, place the dough on a parchment-lined baking peel.
- Blind bake the shell for 5 minutes. Remove the shell from the oven and scatter the escarole mixture over the dough. Top with the olives and cheese. Continue baking for 25 to 30 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned on the bottom and at the edges.
- Cut into wedges with scissors. Serve the pizza hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 17 - Episode 1701.