Florentine Flat Cake / Schiacciata alla Fiorentina
Makes 1 Cake
This easy-to-prepare schiacciata (flat cake) from Florence has an interesting, moist texture, and pleasant orange taste. As the name implies, this cake is only about 1/2-inch high after it bakes. Cut it into squares or rounds, or use cookie cutters for a more festive look.
- 3/4 cup King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 Grated zest oforanges
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Lightly butter a 7 1/2 x 11 1/2-inch glass lasagne pan or similar pan and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the eggs and sugar until thick and foamy. On low speed, beat in the olive oil and milk. Stir in the orange zest.
- On low speed, beat the flour mixture into the egg mixture until the batter becomes smooth. It will be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched with your finger.
- Remove the pan to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Turn the cake out onto a serving dish. Cut into squares or other shapes. This cake is delicious as is, but for a festive look, sprinkle the top completely with confectioners' sugar. Also try the cake topped with fresh fruit.