This is a typical dish from Friuli, cheese cooked with potatoes. Friuli was a poor area; this was one of many peasant dishes. It was made with the remains of the cheese-making process, called strissulis (strips). The strisule are strips of curd resulting from slices that overflow from the mold once the curd has set up.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 medium all-purpose potato, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Montasio cheese
- Salt to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick pan and add the onion and potato and cook until they begin to brown.
- Spread the cheese evenly over the top and continue cooking until the frico sets up.
- Turn it out onto a dish and slide it back into the pan to cook the other side until golden brown.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2225.