Two classic products of the region of Emilia Romagna go into this delicious “ham and cheese” panino.
- 4 slices country (coarse texture) whole wheat bread
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 thin slices prosciutto di Parma
- Coarsely ground pepper
- Unsalted butter
- Cover two slices of the bread with a layer of the fluffy grated cheese. Generously grind pepper over the top.
- Place two slices of prosciutto di Parma over the cheese.
- Place the remaining slices of bread on top to make sandwiches.
- Use a panini maker or:
- In a large frying, add enough butter to provide a generous film (about 2 tablespoons). Heat the butter over medium-low heat until foamy. Add the cheese sandwiches, pressing them onto the pan; slowly fry, regulating the heat so the butter does not burn. Once a light brown, turn the sandwiches over, and press down with a spatula to compress slightly. Brown the other side.
- When done, transfer the sandwiches to a paper towel to drain. Cut in half diagonally, and serve with your favorite wine.
This recipe was featured on Season 26 - Episode 2609.
Me, too! Looking for the bread recipe!
On the rent episode titled “The King of Cheese; Il Re del Formaggio”, they used a loaf of artisan country bread she made for the paninis. Is this bread recipe available? I’ve also been looking for a recipe for Paesano artisan bread – do you have a recipe for this? Thank you so much!