Fried Mozzarella Sandwiches / Mozzarella in Carrozza
- 1 pound buffalo mozzarella, fior di latte, or pasteurized mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 slices
- 8 slices stale bread, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup Canola or sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs, or the equivalent in egg substitute
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups milk
- Place 2 slices of mozzarella between two pieces of bread to make 4 sandwiches. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a non-stick skillet large enough to hold at least two sandwiches. Make them in batches.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the salt and milk in a wide bowl.
- Coat the sandwiches on both sides in the egg batter and fry them on both sides in the oil until they are golden brown and the cheese begins to melt. Add additional oil as necessary if the pan becomes dry.
- Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1507.