Here is a great way to use up all the vegetables from the garden. Make this delicious and healthy meatloaf; it’s good leftover too!
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 3 green peppers cut into strips
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/3 pound mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan, stir in the garlic and cook it until it softens but does not brown. Stir in the onions and continue cooking until the onions are soft.
- In a bowl toss together the zucchini, peppers, eggplant, oregano, flour, salt, and pepper. Stir into the onion mixture and cook 2 or 3 minutes. Spread the tomatoes over the top of the mixture, cover the pan and cook over simmering heat for 45 minutes. Uncover and cook until the mixture has thickened. Set aside.
- Mix the ground beef, pork, celery salt, pepper flakes, Worcestshire sauce and rice together in a bowl.
- Spread half of the zucchini mixture in a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Pat the meat mixture on top of the zucchini, then cover with the remaining zucchini mixture.
- Bake covered in a 350F for 30 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle the cheese over the top and continue baking an additional 20 minutes.
No comments on this recipe.