Garganelli with Asparagus and Cheese Sauce / Garganelli con Asparagi e Salsa di Formaggio
- INGREDIENTS3/4 pound asparagus
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, diced
- 1 1/3 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 recipe Garganelli (see "Pasta")
- DIRECTIONSWash the asparagus and bend the stem with your hands; it will break at just the right point. Discard the woody stems and cut the asparagus in half. Set aside.
- Fill a 1-quart saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the asparagus. Cook, uncovered, just until a knife easily pierces the stalk, about 5 minutes. Drain the asparagus in a colander and set aside. (This step can be done ahead and the asparagus refrigerated covered until ready to use.)
- Melt the butter in a medium-size sauté pan, taking care not to let it brown. Add the prosciutto and cook slowly over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the prosciutto is crisp and browned. Remove the prosciutto with a slotted spoon to a dish lined with paper towels. (This step can be done several hours ahead.) Wash out and dry the sauté pan.
- Pour the cream into the sauté pan and at low heat stir in the cheese. Stir in the asparagus. Add the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt just before cooking the garganelli.
- Cook the garganelli according to the instructions. Drain the garganelli when al dente, reserving 2 tablespoons of the cooking water, and transfer them to a serving platter. Stir the reserved water into the sauce and pour the sauce over the garganelli. Use two serving spoons to mix and evenly distribute the sauce. Scatter the prosciutto over the top and serve immediately.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1418.