Gian Campanella's Oven Roasted Rock Hens
- 1/2 Cup King Arthur Unbleached, All-Purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Rock Cornish Game Hens, cleaned and quartered
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 medium red potatoes, washed and cut into wedges
- 1-16 ounce can Italian peeled tomatoes orRoma tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled and smashed
- 1 Leaves fromSprig fresh rosemary
- 2 LeavesSprigs fresh thyme
- 6 basil leaves torn into large pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix the flour with salt and pepper in a plastic bag. Place each piece of game hen in the bag and shake to coat. Remove hens from the bag and shake off excess flour; set aside.
- Place a large roasting pan over medium heat, add oil olive and carefully place the hens into the pan; sear them on both sides until golden brown; remove and place on dish; set aside.
- To the hot pan add onions and cook until they begin to turn brown; shut off the heat and add white wine, potatoes, tomatoes, fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.
- Place seared hens on top and cover. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.
- For a little extra zip add ¼ cup capers and ¼ cup calamata olives when you add the tomatoes.
No comments on this recipe.