Gianfranco Marrocco's / Broccoli Rabe
- 2 bunches of broccoli rape (look for Andy Boy brand)
- 5 tsp. Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves fresh garlic (peeled and sliced thin)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Step I Prepare the Rabe.
- Broccoli rape usually come bunched up and tied with a wire twist or rubber band. Holding the rape by the floret side, cut off approximately 1 1/2 inches off the stems. The base of these stems is usually very tough so discard them. Remove the wire twist/rubber band and wash under cold water to remove any dirt.
- Bring four quarts of salted water to a boil and add the rape.
- Cook for approximately 6-8 minutes or until the rape are tender.
- Drain the rape and shock them in cold water to prevent further cooking.
- Once the rape have cooled, squeeze any excess water out of them.
- Step II Finishing the Broccoli Rabe
- Using a large sauté pan which has not been pre-heated, add the extra virgin olive oil and sliced garlic together.
- Place over a medium heat and simmer the garlic until golden brown.
- Starting with cold oil and garlic together will allow for a better infusion of the garlic flavor into the oil.
- Once the garlic is golden brown, add the red pepper flakes and the pre-cooked rape.
- Season with kosher salt and black pepper, and sauté for approximately 8-10 minutes on a low heat.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1625.
No comments on this recipe.