Homemade Garlic Bread
Makes 1 loaf
- 1 bulb garlic, cloves separated
- Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 to 3 - 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 - 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toss the cloves of garlic with 2 tablespoons olive oil and place them in a small baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 to 30 minutes; uncover and continue baking until the garlic is soft and creamy. Cool, then slip the skins off the garlic and set the cloves aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 375°F at least 20 minutes prior to baking the bread.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup of the water; allow it to stand covered for a few minutes. Stir in the remaining water and begin adding the flour with the salt a little at a time until a ball of dough is obtained. Do not add too much flour or the bread will be tough.
- Knead until smooth; place the dough in a large bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and knead on a floured surface into a smooth ball. Insert cloves of garlic randomly in the dough. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet or on a peel and let it rise again until almost doubled in size.
- Slash the top in a few places with a lame and bake until nicely browned.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1801.