Homemade Lasagne Layered with Spinach / Sformato di Lasagne e Spinaci
Serves 4 to 6
Making pasta dough is easy and there is no definite recipe. You will notice the difference in the lightness of lasagne made with flour and eggs. The recipe for the dough yields more sheets than you will use but wrap and save them to make cannelloni for another meal.
- PASTA DOUGH
- 5 1/2 Makes Twentyxinch wide sheets
- 3 large eggs
- 2 - 2 1/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 sheets lasagne
- 2 20-ounce packages spinach, cleaned and steamed
- 1 1/2 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups prepared Besciamella (white) sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Beat the eggs with a fork in a bowl or whirl them in a food processor. Stir in 2 cups of the flour and the salt. Form a ball of dough that is not sticky. If you need more flour add it gradually until a smooth ball is obtained. Knead the dough for a few minutes on a floured surface. Cover the dough with a bowl and let it sit for 30 minutes to relax the gluten in the dough.
- Cut the dough into 4 pieces and work with one at a time, keeping the rest covered. Use a pasta machine to thin the pieces to the highest setting, 7 or 8 on most machines. Cut 5 1/4 by 4 inch sheets from each strip and use the scraps to re-roll. Place the sheets in a single layer on kitchen towels as you make them. Cook the onion in the olive oil until it softens. Stir in the spinach and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Season with the salt and allow it to cool.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Stir in 1 tablespoon of salt. Cook the lasagne strips 6 at a time. They will cook in 1 minute. Scoop them from the water and place them in a casserole dish full of ice water to cool them and allow you to handle them. Transfer the strips to kitchen towels to dry them.
- Spread about 1/3 cup of the besciamella sauce in the bottom of an 11 1/2 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish or use a similar pan. Place 4 lasagne strips slightly over lapping over the sauce. Spread half the spinach mixture over the strips, then half of the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the layer with 1/3 of the cheese.
- Make one more layer as above, then top with the last layer of lasagne strips and remaining besciamella sauce and the rest of the cheese.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes or until hot. Allow the lasagne to stand for 10 minutes before cutting it to make neat slices.
- Recipes for the Tomato and Basil Sauce and Besciamella Sauce can be found in the Sauces section of the Recipe Box on the web site.
This recipe was featured on Season 14 - Episode 1416.
No comments on this recipe.