Jam Tart / Crostata di Marmellata
Company coming? Let them eat crostata (jam tart)! The dough is easily made by hand or in a food processor. Just remember a few things; measure the flour correctly by lightly sprinkling it into a one cup dry measure such as metal or plastic, and use really cold butter to achieve a flaky crust.
Makes One 9 x 1 inch tart in removable tart shell pan
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond sugar powder (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen
- 1 egg plusyolk, lightly beaten
- 2 cups favorite jam
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whirl the almonds in a food processor until they are a fine consistency but leave a little texture.
- Add the unbleached flour, salt, sugar, almond sugar powder and zest to the bowl of the processor and whirl until blended. Add the butter and pulse several times; add the egg and yolk gradually through the fed tube until a ball of dough begins to form.
- Gather up dough; pat into a disk; cover and refrigerate until cold but not hard, about 40 minutes.
- Using 2/3 of the dough, roll it out between flour-dusted parchment paper to fit the tart pan. Trim off excess dough.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into 1/2-inch wide lattice strips for the top of the tart.
- Set aside ona tray in the refrigerator.
- Fill the shell with the jam and lay the lattice strips over the top in a crisscross pattern or pattern of your choice.
- Place the tart on a rimmed baking sheet and bake it about 40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into wedges.
This recipe was featured on Season 20 - Episode 2004.