Little Crab Cakes
Crab (granchio) is very sweet in Italy and there are many varieties from the spider crab that is usually boiled, to the furry crab, which is somewhat smaller. Use lump crab for these delicious crab cakes.
Makes 8 – Serves 4
- 1 pound lump crab meat
- Salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes crushed
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- Panko bread crumbs
- Canola Oil for frying
- 2 Juice oflemons
- 1 stick of butter (ounces)
- Eight 3 X 1 1/2-inch aluminum muffin or cup cake tins
- Combine the crab meat in a bowl with the salt, pepper, red pepper and parsley. Mix well.
- Have two shallow dishes ready; one with the beaten eggs, the other with the bread crumbs.
- Grab a small handful of the crab meat mixture, about 1/3 cup, and coat it in the egg. Do not worry that it does not hold together at this point. Next coat it in the bread crumbs and make a tight round. Press the mixture into a muffin tin and flatten the top. Use the rest of the crabmeat mixture, filling the muffin tin cavities. Place the filled pan on a baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour to “set” the crumbs.
- Heat canola oil in a frying pan so you have 1/2-inch depth of oil. Unmold the cakes and gently place them in the oil to fry, a few at a time. When the edges begin to brown, turn them over and brown the other side. Keep warm while cooking the remainder. Set aside.
- Melt a stick of butter in a small saucepan. Add the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Place 2 cakes on each of 4 plates; spoon some of the sauce over the top and serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1803.