Little Eggplant Molds / Timballini di Melanzane
- 6 small eggplant, each at leastinches long andinches wide, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces ricotta salata cheese, diced
- 1 teaspoon fried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding black pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato sauce, kept hot and covered
- Brush four 3- X 2-inch ramekins with olive oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the stem tops off of each of the eggplants. Slice four of the eggplants lengthwise, making six 1/4-inch thick slices from each one. Dice the remaining two eggplants and set aside.
- Heat half of the oil in a sauté pan and cook the slices in batches until they are lightly browned on each side. Transfer the slices to a dish. Add additional oil as necessary to cook all the slices.
- Add the diced eggplant and onion to the sauté pan and cook until the mixture softens. Stir in the tomatoes and cook 1 minute. Off the heat add the cheese, oregano, salt and pepper and mix to combine. Set aside.
- Line each ramekin with six overlapping slices of eggplant and leave at least a 2-inch overhang to fold over later.
- Fill the lined ramekins with the eggplant and cheese mixture, packing it in well. Bring the overlapped eggplant over the filing to enclose it. Drizzle the tops with olive oil.
- Cover each ramekin with a small piece of aluminum foil and place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove the foil from each one. Use a dishtowel to hold them and invert onto a serving dish. Top each one with some of the tomato sauce and serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1618.
No comments on this recipe.