Mashed Cauliflower and Potato Casserole
Just-picked heads of cauliflower have lots of cooking possibilities, and I am always dreaming up new ways to serve it because not everyone in my family is in love with it like me.
So, I don’t tell the naysayers about this scrumptious casserole that combines cauliflower, potatoes, and cheese.
I just serve them and wait for “Can I have some more please?” This is a deliberatly sneaky way to get doubters to love this cruciferous vegetable!
- 1-1/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 medium head cauliflower broken into 1-inch florets
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
- 4 tbs extra virgin olive oil plus extra for the top
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 pound sliced caciocavallo or provolone cheese
- Butter a 9 x 12-inch casserole dish, sprinkle a thin layer of the breadcrumbs evenly in the casserole dish, and refrigerate it.
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the cauliflower and potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain into large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes and cauliflower with a fork. Let cool slightly.
- Mix in olive oil, eggs, half of the grated cheese, parsley, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Use your hands to spread half of the cauliflower mixture evenly in the pan. Layer the cheese slices over the top. Spread the remaining cauliflower mixture over the cheese and sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Drizzle a little olive oil over the top.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Cool slightly before cutting into squares.
This recipe was featured on Season 30 - Episode 3002.
Where was the location of mountain side ocean cliffs that Maryann called “heaven “ at the end of the season 30 episode 2 show. Love the the Maryann in Italy/Sicily shown at the end of some episodes.
I am going to make this tomorrow. Always looking for good meatless recipes.
Can leftovers be frozen and reheated
Hello Maryann, I made this recipe yesterday and my husband loves it! I added a dash of cayenne pepper to the egg mixture. Thank you so much!
The show had the oven at 350. MaryAnn said this a few times. 25 degrees is quite a difference so I would set it at 350 then maybe lightly broil if the top does not brown.
Fantastic & simple recipe to follow. Taste tell you later from my family.