Mom's Date Nut Bars
No holiday visit to Mom’s was ever complete without her sending me home with a box of her famous date nut bars. Of all her confections, this was the one that everyone craved.
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons King Arthur unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups diced dates (10 ounces)
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 8-inch square pan and dust with flour or line the pan with aluminum foil and butter and flour it. Set aside.
- Sift 1/2 cup of the flour with the baking powder and salt into a bowl.
- In another bowl beat the eggs until they are foamy. Gradually add the sugar and vanilla beating until well blended. Fold in the flour mixture.
- In a small bowl toss the dates and nuts with the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of the four. This method will prevent the dates and nuts from sinking to the bottom of the pan while baking.
- Fold the date mixture into the batter.
- Spread batter evenly in the pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown on top and firm to the touch. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into squares and sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar.
- Note: These can be made ahead and frozen without the confectioner’s sugar for up to 3 months.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2215.