Nancy Radke's American-Style Potato Casserole / Torta di Patate all'Americana
SERVES 6 TO 8
This layered casserole of regular and sweet potatoes is enhanced with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese and baked to a crispy finish.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound all purpose potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Parmigiano Reggiano, cut into slivers with a vegetable peeler
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and olive oil in a cast iron or other heavy-duty ovenproof pan.
- Make an overlapping layer of all purpose potatoes in the pan to fill in the pan completely. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Scatter 1/5 of the cheese slivers over the potatoes.
- Make a layer of sweet potato slices over the all purpose potatoes, going in the opposite direction. Season and scatter with cheese.
- Continue making layers until all the potatoes are used. Pour remaining butter and olive oil over the top.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 25 minutes longer, until potatoes are tender and browned at the edges.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- Hint: Using a mandolin makes quick work of slicing the potatoes and gives all the slices a uniform thickness.
No comments on this recipe.