Nancy Verde Barr's Shrimp and Arugula Sauce / Sugo di Gamberetti e Arugula
MAKES ABOUT 2 1/2 CUPS
- 1 pound small shrimp, with shells
- 1 1/4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Juice and zest ofsmall lemon
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 pound arugula, stems removed, washed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the shrimp, peel and put the shells in a small saucepan with the water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, simmer 15 minutes, then strain, pushing on the shells to extract as much flavor as possible.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a 12-to-14-inch sauté pan and when it is hot, toss in the shrimp and cook just until they turn pink, then remove from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil to the pan and over low heat cook the garlic until it begins to soften. Stir in the lemon zest, and then pour in the wine, shrimp broth and lemon juice; raise the heat and reduce the liquid by about half.
- Just before draining the pasta, return the shrimp to the pan, stir in the arugula and season with salt and pepper. Pour the hot pasta into the pan with the shrimp, toss and serve.
- Note: I like to serve this sauce with homemade cavatelli.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1622.