Neapolitan Cookies / Biscotti di Napolitani
Here is a frequently requested three-layer cookie called Neapolitans. They are a nice treat for Valentines Day. This recipe is from SweetStuff in Syracuse, New York.
- 1 1/2 cups softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 8 ounces almond paste
- 2 cups King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- pinch salt
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 10 drops red food coloring
- 12 ounces warm raspberry jam
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, melted
- Cream the butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract until the mixture is light and fluffy. Break up the almond paste and beat it into the mixture.
- Add the flour and salt and mix just enough to incorporate it into the wet mixture. Do not over mix, since the mixing will continue as the egg whites are folded in.
- Beat egg whites separately in a clean bowl with clean beaters until the whites come to soft peaks. Fold the whites into the almond mixture.
- Spread one third of the batter onto a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Transfer another third of the batter to a bowl and stir in the red food coloring. Spread the mixture evenly on another greased 9 x 13-inch pan.
- Transfer the remaining third of the batter to another bowl and stir in the green food coloring. Spread mixture evenly on another 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cool cakes.
- Place the red layer on the back of a baking sheet lined with foil.
- Spread the cake with one half the raspberry jam. Place the plain cake layer on top of the red layer and spread it with the remaining jam.
- Place the green layer on top of the plain layer. Cover the cake with plastic wrap, place a baking sheet on top of the cake and weigh it down with a large pan of water. refrigerate overnight.
- Slowly melt the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Cut the cake into 1-inch wide strips. Spread the chocolate on the top and sides of each strip. Let the chocolate dry and then frost the bottom with the remaining chocolate.