Neapolitan Potato Pie / Gatto di Patate
Serves 6 to 8
Gatto di patate is a savory Neapolitan potato pie that is a wonderful side dish to chicken or meat. It can be made with fresh or leftover mashed potatoes and bits of cheeses and cured meats that you may have in your refrigerator.
Saving time: Use a microwave to bake the potatoes, and soften the butter if it is cold. Keep grated cheeses on hand in the refrigerator to save a step in this recipe.
- 4 large baking potatoes, scrubbed and
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 pound diced ham
- 3 tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 3 ounces orslices Provolone cheese, diced
- 5 ouonces mozzarella cheese (fior di latte) sliced
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (optional)
- Butter a 9 x 12 inch baking dish and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake the potatoes in their skins in the microwave according to manufacturers directions. Cool and peel.
- Mash the potatoes in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in 4 tablespoons of the butter, eggs, milk, Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino cheeses. Stir in the ham and parsley.
- Spread half the mixture in a 9 x 12-inch baking pan.Sprinkle the diced cheeses on top of the mixture. Cover with the remaining mashed potato mixture.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top. Drizzle the butter over the bread crumbs and bake the pie for about 45 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Serve hot.
- Variation: use thin slices of plum tomatoes instead of breadcrumbs for the topping.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1522.