Neapolitan Style Onions/Cipolle di Napoli
Use large onions for this wonderful Neapolitan side dish.
- 6 large yellow onions, peeled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tablespoons sweet Marsala wine
- 2 teaspoons capers in salt, well rinsed
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Stud the onions with three cloves each and place them in a baking pan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Pour the olive oil in the pan and tuck in the thyme leaves. Sprinkle the onions with salt and pepper. Cover and bake about 45 minutes or until the onions are soft but hold their shape and are not falling apart.
- Uncover the pan and sprinkle the Marsala over the onions and return the pan, uncovered, to the oven for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the onions on a serving dish; discard the cloves and sprinkle the capers over the onions.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2104.