Nut Cookies / Biscotti di Noce
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon King Arthur™ Unbleached, All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup unblanched whole almonds
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with a wire whisk until thick and pale yellow. Whisk in the butter, orange zest, and vanilla and mix well. Sift the flour and baking soda together and stir into the egg mixture, mixing well. Stir in the nuts. The dough will be sticky.
- Using 2 spoons, divide the dough in half and place half the dough on a greased cookie sheet. Shape it into a flat loaf 10 inches long and 4 inches wide, tapering it slightly at the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough. Bake for 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer the loaves carefully to a cutting board and cut the loaves on the diagonal into 1/2-inch slices. Place the slices on their sides on the cookie sheets and bake for about 7 minutes on each side, or until well toasted and hard. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool.
- They will keep in an airtight container for up to a month.