Octopus and Potato Salad / Insalata di Polpi e Patate
- 1 pound red skin or Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 shallots, peeled
- 4 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Juice oflarge lemons
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound cleaned octopus, cut into 1/4-inch rings
- 1 tablespoon small capers in salt, rinsed and drained
- 1 small sweet red pepper, seeded and diced
- Several lettuce leaves, shredded
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and microwave them until fork tender. Cool, peel and cube the potatoes. Put them in a large bowl.
- Mince together the garlic, shallots, and parsley. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in all but 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, lemon juice, rice vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Put the octopus in a small saucepan, cover with water, add salt and cook just until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and add the octopus to the potatoes. Pour the olive oil dressing over the potato and octopus mixture and toss gently.
- Add the capers and red pepper and toss again.
- Mound the salad on a platter. Toss the greens in a bowl with the remaining oil and arrange in a ring around the salad. Serve at room temperature.
- This salad can be made ahead and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature several hours before serving.
- Note: You may substitute baby squid for the octopus.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1614.
There are no directions on how to cook octopus.