Overcooked Squash / Zucca Disfatta
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons citron, minced
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, minced
- Fresh mint for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the cubed squash. Stir and cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Do not allow the squash to turn brown. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven. Cool and mash the squash with a potato masher or in a food mill. Return the squash to the skillet and cook over low heat until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Add the citron and orange zest and stir well. Garnish with a mint sprig and serve.
No comments on this recipe.