Palermo Style Pizza/Sfincione
Here is a type of Sicilian pizza found in the province of Palermo.
Makes two thick 9-inch pizza
- 1 recipe Quick Yeast Dough for Pizza
- 1 large onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 anchovy fillets, cut into small pieces (Optional)
- 1/4 pound caciocavallo, primosale, scamorza or mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Simmer the onions in the 1 cup water until soft. Drain.
- Sauté the onion in olive oil until golden. Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Liberally oil two 9-inch cake pans. Divide the dough in half and place each half in a cake pan, spreading it out with your fingers so it covers the bottom in an even layer. Sprinkle the anchovies (or eliminate them) over each half, pushing them down into the dough as far as they will go. Scatter the cheese evenly over the anchovies. Spread the tomato and onion sauce evenly over the cheese.
- Mix the bread crumbs and oregano together and sprinkle them in an even layer over the sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is nicely browned. Drizzle with olive oil and cut into pieces. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2123.