Pan Fried Smelts
Serves 4 (or more if part of a buffet)
- 1 pound fresh smelts, patted dry with paper towels
- Flour for dredging
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil
- Coarse sea salt
- Lemon wedges
- If the bones are still in the fish, you may wish to remove them. Grasping the head-end of the backbone should allow you to remove the bones in a single pull.
- Put the flour in a large bowl or paper bag and season it with salt and pepper. Gently toss the smelts in the flour to coat them evenly.
- Heat a large frying pan with about an inch of canola oil in it. When a bit of flour sizzles when dropped in, it is hot enough for adding the smelts. Cook them quickly in a single layer in the pan, turning them once; this may need to be done in batches.
- Drain them on paper towels and keep warm until all are done.
- Arrange the smelts on a platter and sprinkle with coarse sea salt; serve immediately with lemon wedges.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2205.