Pears in Barolo Wine/Pere in Barolo
Pears with Barolo are a typical Piemontese dessert that go perfectly with Barolo, the king of Piedmont wines. Use Anjou or Bartlett pears; in Piedmont a pear variety called “Martin Sec” is used.
- 6 to 8 cloves crushed
- 1 bottle Barolo wine
- 4 whole ripe pears, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Crush the cloves to a powder and place in a bowl. Pour in the wine, stir well and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Place the pears upright in a deep oven casserole dish. Pour the wine into the dish and sprinkle the pears with the sugar.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an 1 hour or until pears are fork tender. Baste them occasionally as they bake with the wine sauce.
- Cool in the wine. Serve at room temperature with some of the wine sauce.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2421.