Super Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels
Need something nifty for the big game? Want to get away from the predictable cheese whiz, tortilla chips and salsa? Let them eat pretzels and not just any pretzels but ones you make yourself. Easy as can be, these pretzels are delicious and a great way to get a Super Bowl party going! Let everyone make their own from store bought dough. Put these together with a platter of assorted cheeses, marinated artichoke hearts, olives and cold cuts like salami and ham and you got a touchdown!
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110°F) water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package Fleischmanns pizza crust yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 4 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 cups minced peperoni
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- Coarse salt to sprinkle on top of pretzels
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine the water, yeast, honey, butter and olive oil. Add 4 cups of the flour a cup at a time, the salt, and mix with the dough hook or by hand until the mixture is well combined and moves around the blade and begins to form a ball. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it a couple of times.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough under the palms of your hands into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the 2 ends of the rope, cross them over each other twice and press them into the center of the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place on the parchment-lined pans, spacing them about an inch apart.
- Bring the water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in a soup pot or deep, large saucepan.
- Use a wide face flat spatula or skimmer and boil the pretzels a few at a time for about 40 seconds. Drain them well and place them on the parchment lined pans, at least 2 inches apart.
- Brush the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle them with coarse salt and cheese.
- Bake until they are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks. Best eaten warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2202.