Pepperoni Pizza Pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups warm (110°F) water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 package Fleischmanns pizza crust yeast
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 4 to 4 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 2 cups minced peperoni
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- Coarse salt to sprinkle on top of pretzels
- In a large bowl or stand mixer combine the water, yeast, honey, butter and olive oil. Add 4 cups of the flour a cup at a time, the salt, and mix with the dough hook or by hand until the mixture is well combined and moves around the blade and begins to form a ball. Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it a couple of times.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough under the palms of your hands into a 24-inch rope. Make a U-shape with the rope, holding the 2 ends of the rope, cross them over each other twice and press them into the center of the bottom of the U in order to form the shape of a pretzel. Place on the parchment-lined pans, spacing them about an inch apart.
- Bring the water and the baking soda to a rolling boil in a soup pot or deep, large saucepan.
- Use a wide face flat spatula or skimmer and boil the pretzels a few at a time for about 40 seconds. Drain them well and place them on the parchment lined pans, at least 2 inches apart.
- Brush the pretzels with the egg wash and sprinkle them with coarse salt and cheese.
- Bake until they are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool on racks. Best eaten warm.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2202.