Piedmont Savory Custard/Tartra'
This unusual savory custard with herbs is a traditional dish originally considered la povera cucina. Today it is served as an antipasto in many Piemontese restaurants.
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil plus extra for greasing molds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs plusegg yolks
- 2 ounces Casutin
- 4 orfresh sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 4 ounces Beppino Occelli butter
- 1 Juice oflemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 togreased and floured small ramekins (aboutounces each)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a small pan heat the olive oil and cook the onion until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook until it softens. Transfer to a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs, yolks, cheese, sage, rosemary, milk, cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into the ramekins and place in a water bath. Bake until set. Cool slightly, then unmold onto individual serving dishes.
- Melt butter in small saucepan; stir in lemon juice and parsley; pour over the pudding molds.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2410.