Pizza with Clams
- Pizza Dough
- 1 cup warm water<p
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 to 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or Caputo flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 pounds mahogany or other small clams in the shell,well scrubbed, disgard any cracked ones<p
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 8 large ripe plum tomatoes, skinned , seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Salt to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and let stand a couple of minutes in a large bowl.
- Stir in the olive oil, flour and 2 1/2 cups of flour along with the salt.
- Mix to form a ball of dough that is not sticky; add additional flour if necessary.
- Transfer dough to a bowl and cover and let rise until double.
- Meanwhile make the topping.
- Place the clams in a large skillet and add the garlic,wine and thyme. Cover the skillet and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium-high and cook until all the clams open; those that do not are to be discarded.<p Drain the clams reserving the juices. When the clams arecool enough to handle, remove them from their shells and place in a bowl. You may want to keep 2 or 3 clams in their shells for garnish. <p > <p >Use the reserved juices for stock when making fish based dishes.
- When the dough is ready, punch it down and divide into 2 pieces or quarters to make smaller pizza. Allow the pieces to rest covered on floured surface.<p > <p >When ready to top, flatten each one with your hands and shape into an 8 inch diameter or make smaller 6 inch diameter pizzas. Transfer the dough to a cornmeal-dusted pizza peel, or place it on sheet of parchment paper cut to the size of the inside of a cast iron skillet. Brush the dough with olive oil and spread the tomatoes over the pizza. Transfer the dough to the stone or skillet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the clams evenly over the pizza and continue baking for about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with parsley, salt and pepper. Drizzle a little oil over the top. Cut into wedges and serve hot.