Polenta with Mushrooms, Grilled Ramps, Prosciutto and Gorgonzola
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 cup corn meal- Kenyon mills red flint, from Rhode Island
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ramps, blanched and sliced in to half lengthwise
- 12 oz mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon white wine
- 2 ounces Speck Alto Adige, prosciutto di San Daniele or ham, cut thick and julienned
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces gorgonzola DOP cheese
- For the Polenta
- Boil water with milk and salt.
- Add corn meal and whisk until smooth.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, move half way off the burner. Keep stirring and moving pan as the polenta thickens. Cook for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. Spread onto a small sheet pan; smooth the top and chill overnight in the refrigerator.
- For the Vegetable Sauce
- Heat a large sauté pan on high heat. Add olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add ramps first, then add mushrooms and cook till they have lost most of the water in them. Add wine and reduce; add speck, prosciutto or ham, thyme, seasoning and remove from the heat. Drizzle with olive oil after cooking.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Cut the sheet pan of polenta into 3-inch squares.
- Butter one side of each square and dust with flour, place flour-side-down on buttered sheet pan. Top with mushroom mixture. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Then place gorgonzola cheese on top and bake until melted.
- Remove from sheet pan and serve on a platter.
This recipe was featured on Season 22 - Episode 2207.
No comments on this recipe.