Potato Casserole / Patate in Casseruola
This potato casserole in the style of northern Italy is best made with red skin, new, or small white potatoes. These are low in starch and hold up well in baking. Serve this as a side to baked fish, chops or roasted meats.
SERVES 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons melted butter (1/2 stick)
- 2 pounds red skin potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Brush a 9 x 12-inch casserole dish or cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of the melted butter.
- Layer the potatoes in the casserole dish and pour the remaining melted butter over them.
- Whisk the egg, milk, nutmeg and salt and pepper together in a bowl. Pour evenly over the potatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until the top is browned, and a knife is easily inserted into the potatoes. Serve hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2101.