SERVES 8 TO 10
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 peeled plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup pitted black oil-cured olives, chopped or use green Cerignola, if preferred
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine, rinsed and diced
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender, drain, and mash while still hot.
- Mix the cheese, eggs, and salt together and combine with the potatoes. Set aside.
- Cook the onions in a large sauté pan with the bay leaf, vinegar, and water. Simmer until the onions are very soft. Remove the bay leaf and drain any remaining liquid. Add the tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes, then stir in the olives and capers and cook a few minutes longer.
- Oil a 9 1/2-X-11-X-2-inches deep baking dish with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil. Sprinkle half of the bread crumbs over the bottom of the pan. Spread half the potato mixture over the crumbs. Spread the tomato filling mixture over the potatoes. Cover with the remaining potatoes. Drizzle with the remaining oil and sprinkle on the remaining bread crumbs.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the surface is golden brown. Use a spoon to scoop and serve immediately.
No comments on this recipe.