Potato, Tomato and Onion Casserole / Tortiere di Patate, Pomodori e Cipolle
When you think Puglia, think “casseroles”. This region is famous for them. This combination of simple vegetables makes a side dish to remember. Russet potatoes are excellent for this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 2 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 pound plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Spread the olive oil in a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish. Starting with the potatoes, make alternating layers of potatoes, onions and tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with cheese, oregano and salt.
- Carefully pour the wine into the dish at one edge. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the dish and continue baking until the top is nicely browned.