Radicchio Pizza / Pizza di Radicchio
- 1 recipe Basic Pizza Dough
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2 large heads radicchio (about 2 pounds ), washed and torn into pieces
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, rinsed and minced
- 1/2 cup Cerignola olives, pitted and halved
- 1 1/2 cup Fontina cheese, cubed
- Grinding black pepper
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Make the dough and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Heat the oil in a medium-size sauté pan; add the garlic and when it begins to brown, remove and discard the garlic. Add the radicchio to the pan and stir well. Season with salt, cover the pan, and cook until the radicchio is wilted. It will take just a few minutes.
- Drain the radicchio in a colander and squeeze it dry. Coarsely chop it and set it aside.
- Divide the risen dough in half. Roll one piece into a 12-inch circle and place it in an oiled 10-inch pie pan. Spread the cooled radicchio over the dough. Scatter the capers, olives and fontina cheese over the radicchio and give the pie a good grinding of black pepper. Season with salt to taste.
- Roll out the second piece of dough into a 12-inch circle and place it over the top of the filling. Trim and pinch the edges closed. If there are any scraps, use them to make a decoration for the top.
- Brush the top of the pie with the beaten egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is nicely browned. Let the pizza cool and cut into wedges and serve at room temperature or even cold.
This recipe was featured on Season 16 - Episode 1626.
No comments on this recipe.