Sal Scognamillo, executive chef and co-owner of the one and only, Patsy’s Restaurant in New York City, offers you this simple, yet utterly brilliant dessert treat.
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups flour
- 6 eggs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 pounds of ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 Maraschino cherries
- Bring water, butter, and salt to a boil. When boiling, add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed, for about 1 minute. Take off fire. Put into mixing bowl and cool for 10 minutes. Mixing at a low speed add 1 egg at a time allowing each egg to blend. Put dough into a pastry bag. Cut 12 pieces of wax paper into 3-inch squares and lightly dust with flour. Pipe a doughnut shape onto each piece of paper.
- Heat oil to 350ºF. Carefully slide batter off the wax paper into the oil. Fry for 7 to 8 minutes turning every couple of minutes. Doughnuts should double in size. Allow to cool on absorbent paper. Slice horizontally.
- Mix ricotta, sugar and vanilla extract in another mixing bowl on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and mix for 10 seconds. Put cream in pastry bag and fill center of each zeppole. Press the top of the pastry onto the bottom. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and place a cherry on top of each pastry.
This recipe was featured on Season 18 - Episode 1817.