Rustic Pizza/Pizza Rustica
Serves 8 to 10
- 1 recipe Quick Yeast Dough for Pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus additional for greasing baking sheet and dough
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 bunch broccoli rape, washed, trimmed, cooked and chopped
- 4 ounces (about16) colossal Cerignola olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup oil cured black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot red pepper pesto
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Grinding of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino cheese
- Heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil in a sauté pan and, when it is hot, stir in the garlic and cook until soft. Stir in the onion and cook until it is wilted. Stir in the broccoli rape. Sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the olives and pepper paste. Add the salt, pepper and oregano and sauté for 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease or spray a 12-inch round baking pan or sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Divide the dough in half and work with one piece at a time. Roll the dough out into a 12 inch round. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet and lightly brush it with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread the filling mixture evenly over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Roll out the second piece of dough and place it over the filling. Seal the edges of the dough by folding the edges of the top dough over the edges of the bottom dough. Brush the top of the dough with the beaten egg. Sprinkle the sesame seeds evenly over the top, then sprinkle the cheese over the sesame seeds. Make an X in the center of the top with a scissors.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the dough is nicely browned on the top and bottom. Remove the pizza with a wide metal spatula to a cooling rack. Cut into wedges while warm and serve.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2107.
No comments on this recipe.