Salmon Salad/Insalata di Salmone
- FOR THE COURT BUILLION
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 1/2 small leek, cut into thin slices
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Juice of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- FOR THE SALAD
- 1 1/4-pound center-cut salmon fillet, skin on
- 2 cooked large Yukon Gold or Red potatoes, cooled, peeled and cut intoinch dice
- 6 whole Cerignola olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers in salt, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 6 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- In a small pan, combine all the court bouillon ingredients and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium cover and cook for 20 minutes. Strain the court bouillon, discarding the solids. Set aside.
- In a heavy skillet just large enough to hold the salmon fillet, heat the court bouillon to a gentle simmer. Attach a candy thermometer to the side of the pan or prop an instant-read thermometer in the pan with the dial propped against the side of the pan. It should register 200 degrees.
- Carefully lower the salmon fillet into the liquid. The temperature of the water will plunge and it will cease to simmer. Heat the liquid until it returns to just below a simmer, 180 degrees, and adjust the heat to maintain this temperature. To keep the salmon submerged, it may be necessary to place a small weight, such as a lid from a small pan or an empty coffee mug, on top of the salmon.
- Cook the fish until it is opaque throughout and flakes easily, 12 to 13 minutes per inch of thickness. To test for doneness, use a paring knife to make a small incision in the fillet and inspect it visually.
- Transfer the salmon to a plate and set aside to cool. Then cut into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, olives, capers and peas.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice and salt together until frothy. Whisk in the olive oil until a smooth emulsion is formed. Pour half the dressing over the potato mixture and combine well. Add the salmon and remaining dressing and gently toss. Add salt to taste.
- Transfer to a platter and sprinkle the parsley evenly over the top and garnish with the egg halves.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2412.