Shrimp on Sand
- 1 tablespoon semolina flour
- 1 tablespoon durum flour
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons dried seaweed, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup Filippo Berio extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1 shallot diced
- 2 Juice oflarge lemons plus extra lemons for garnish
- 1 tablespoon capers in brine, drained
- 1 carrot, cut intoinch long andinch wide matchsticks
- 1 zucchini cut intoinch long andinch wide matchsticks
- 1 red sweet pepper, cut intoinch long andinch wide matchsticks
- 1 pound large in shell shrimp (31/35 per pound )
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- FOR THE SAND
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl and spread on a piece of wax paper into a 6 x 6 inch square. Cover and freeze until hard. You may do this a couple of days ahead of time. Remove from freezer and discard the wax paper. Place on a non stick baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. When the sand is cool to the touch, crumble it and transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Place all the vegetables in a large bowl.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients and pour over all the vegetables. Set aside.
- Bring water, wine, salt and bay leaf to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan. Add shrimp and bring back to the boil. Shut off heat and cover pan. Allow shrimp to cool in the water, then remove them and shell. Save liquid for stock.
- Toss the shrimp with the vegetables and sand and transfer to a platter.
- Sprinkle with parsley and lemon wedges if desired. Serve at room temperature.
This recipe was featured on Season 24 - Episode 2411.