Sicilian Sardine and Cheese Sandwich / Sandwich Siciliano con Formaggio e Sarde
“Please e-mail me a quick idea for a Sicilian-type sandwich.” I get this kind of request all the time. Here is a very authentic Sicilian sandwich that was made for me at Al Forno panificio in Vallelunga.
Use a good thin baguette with a sesame seed crust, if possible. This is one of those instances where fish and cheese together do complement each other.
- 1 12- or 14-inch-long sesame seed baguette, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/3 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 orsalted sardines, cut into small pieces
- Drizzle the olive oil evenly over one half of the bread. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the cheese and the pepper. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the olive oil. Top the cheese mixture with the sardines.
- Place the second half of the baguette on top of the sardines. Use a sharp knife and cut the baguette into 4 equal pieces.
This recipe was featured on Season 11 - Episode 1126.
No comments on this recipe.