Skillet Pizza/Pizza in Padella
This is not a traditional way to make pizza but so many people tell me that they have no time to bake that, one day while I was experimenting with dough, I came up with this method of making pizza in a cast iron skillet on the stove top
Makes 2 small pizzas
- 1 recipe Quick Yeast Dough
- 1 medium ripe tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into bits
- Coarse sea salt
- Extra Virgin olive oil to drizzle on top
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
- Heat a well oiled cast iron 10 or 12 inch frying pan for 5 minutes over medium heat. If you don’t have a cast iron pan, use a non-stick pan.
- Divide the dough in half and roll the dough into a circle one-inch smaller than the diameter of the pan you are using. Place the dough in the hot pan and allow it to cook until it begins to rise and the bottom is starting to brown. Carefully flip the dough over with a metal spatula. Lay half the tomato slices over the dough and scatter half the cheese over the tomatoes. Lower the heat to medium low and continue to cook the pizza until the cheese has melted.
- Use a metal spatula to transfer the pizza to cutting board.
- Sprinkle the pizza with salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cut into wedges and sprinkle half the basil over the wedges. Repeat the process to make the second pizza.
- You can also make this pizza in an electric skillet set at 375°F.
This recipe was featured on Season 21 - Episode 2107.