Skillet Tomatoes with Cheese & Crumbs / Pomodori in Padella con Formaggio
Skillet tomatoes topped with melted cheese and crunchy bread crumbs make a great side dish, an easy antipasto, or a light lunch. They look impressive as part of a buffet spread.
- 3 tablespoons Filippo Berio Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 large plum tomatoes, cut in half, turned upside down on paper towels, and allowed to drain
- 1 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese (Fior di Latte)
- 4 slices toasted bread (Optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, add the garlic, and cook until the garlic just begins to brown. Stir in the bread crumbs and toast them until they are golden brown. Transfer the crumbs to a small bowl; stir in the oregano and salt.
- Return the pan to the stove and cook the tomatoes, cut side down, over medium-low heat for about 3 minutes or just until they begin to soften and shrink. Don't overcook them or they will collapse and lose their shape. Turn the tomatoes cut side up.
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the tomatoes. Cover the pan and allow the cheese to melt.
- Sprinkle some of the bread crumb mixture over the top of each half.
- Serve immediately as is or on top of toasted bread slices.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1525.
No comments on this recipe.