Spaghetti alle Vongole
- 4 pounds littleneck, mahogany or Manila in their shells, soaked and well scrubbed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 hot red pepper crushed
- 3 cups San Marzano DOP tomatoes (La Valle or Mutti brand)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
- Pour 1/4 cup of the olive oil into a large saute’ pan. Heat the oil over medium heat, then add the clams. Cover the pan, shake it a couple of times and cooking the clams until they open.
- Remove them from their shells but keep about 6 whole in the shell for garnish. Reserve the liquid from the pan, straining it if necessary to remove any sediment. Set the liquid aside.
- In the same pan heat the remaining oil and add the garlic and hot red pepper and cook until the garlic begins to soften but does not turn color.
- Stir in the tomatoes, and cook over medium high heat for 3 or 4 minutes. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the reserved clam juice.
- Cook uncovered until the sauce thickens a bit. Salt and pepper to taste. Add the reserved shucked clams and the parsley. Keep the sauce warm and covered over low heat.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente; drain and add to the sauce in the saucepan. Transfer the mixture to a serving platter and garnish with the whole clams.
No comments on this recipe.