Spumone-Filled Panettone / Panettone con Spumone
Serves 8 to 10
Panettone with ice cream is an impressive no-cook, do-ahead dessert that is as much fun to make as to eat. This tall, sweet, raised bread with citron and raisins used to be available only at holiday time, but is now found year-round in supermarkets and Italian food stores. This is a good way to use up panettone if you received one too many for Christmas!
- 1 INGREDIENTSstore-bought panettone
- 1 1/2 quarts spumone or your favorite flavor ice cream, softened
- Whipped cream, optional
- DIRECTIONSCut a 1-inch-thick slice off the top of the bread and set it aside. Use a bread knife to cut around the inside of the bread and hollow it out, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick base and wall. (Save the bread pieces to make bread pudding.)
- Fill the panettone with ice cream, packing it in firmly. Replace the top. Wrap the bread in aluminum foil and freeze until ready to serve. Allow the panettone to thaw slightly before cutting it into wedges or rounds. Serve with whipped cream or raspberry sauce.
- Raspberry Sauce
- 1 pint raspberries, washed and drained
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Puree or mash the berries. Sieve the berries through a strainer into a small bowl. Stir in the sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle a little of the sauce on individual servings.
- Note: Thaw ice cream in the microwave for 20 seconds until it is soft enough to work.
This recipe was featured on Season 15 - Episode 1526.
No comments on this recipe.