Strawberry Rhubarb Pie / Torta di Fragole e Rabarbaro
1 prepared single crust 10-inch pie shell, baked and cooled
- CREAM CHEESE LAYER
- 3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 4 ounces frozen nondairy whipped topping, thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups rhubarb cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- STRAWBERRY LAYERING
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- For rhubarb, melt the butter in a saucepan, stir in the rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook, stirring often, until mushy looking. Combine remaining sugar, cornstarch, salt, yolks and whipping cream. Add to rhubarb. Cook until thickened. Cool, then refrigerate until cold. Spoon into crust.
- Combine cream cheese and confectioners sugar. Beat until blended. Beat in thawed topping. Spread over rhubarb.
- Combine strawberries, sugar, and cornstarch in small pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold then spread over cheese layer.
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, one tablespoon at a time. Beat until all the sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Spread over strawberry filling and seal the edges with meringue.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is a golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
No comments on this recipe.