Stuffed Broccoli Rabe Roll / Rotolo di Broccoletto
Store-bought pizza dough can be a blank canvas for so many toppings, but have you ever thought about turning it into a rotolo? Think of this as a large jelly roll stuffed with broccoli rabe and cheese and baked. It makes a great centerpiece for a buffet, or slice it thick and serve it with soup for a weekend supper, or on its own for lunch. Broccoli has amazing health benefits, and this recipe is a great way to get your veggies! Substitute spinach or broccoli for the broccoli rabe, which has more leaves and fewer florets than broccoli. Try your hand at making the dough from scratch; it is quick and easy to do in a food processor. See our recipe for Straight Dough.
- 1/4 cup Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , peeled and minced
- 2 pounds fresh broccoli rabe, or 2 packages frozen and defrosted chopped broccoli or spinach
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 pound ) package store-bought pizza dough
- 1 small ball (ounces) mozzarella (fior di latte) cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Coarse salt
- Sesame seeds
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a sauté pan and cook the garlic until very soft. Stir in the broccoli rabe or the broccoli or spinach and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the wine vinegar, basil, oregano, and salt. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Let it cool 5 minutes.
- Put the dough in a bowl and allow it to come to room temperature. Roll it out on a floured surface into a 12 X 14-inch rectangle and place it on a lightly greased rimless baking sheet. Don't worry if it does not fit, since you are going to roll the dough up.
- Brush the top of the dough with the remaining olive oil. Spread the broccoli mixture over the top to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Scatter the cheeses on top.
- Starting with the side closest to you, roll the dough up tightly like a jelly roll on the baking sheet, tucking in the 2 side ends as you roll. Pinch the undersides of the dough together to seal it.
- Mix the egg with the water in a small bowl and use it to brush the top of the dough. Then sprinkle the coarse salt and sesame seeds evenly over the top.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cover the roll with a towel and allow it to rise for 25 minutes. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until nicely browned. Let the roll cool about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before using a large spatula to transfer it to a cooling rack.
- Cut the roll while warm into thick slices.
- Note: Frozen vegetables make preparation faster. Keep several packages of prepared pizza dough in the freezer so spur of the moment preparation is easier.