Stuffed Meat Rolls / Braciole
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely minced
- 1/2 cup basil, finely minced
- Salt to taste
- Grinding of black pepper
- 4 tablespoons Filippo Berio extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound veal cutlet
- 1/2 pound sliced ham or prosciutto
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino cheese, plus extra for sprinkling on the finished dish
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups chopped, canned plum tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- Make a paste with 2 of the garlic cloves, the parsley, basil, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Pound the cutlets thin. Spread a little of the paste over the top of each cutlet. Top the paste with a slice of ham and a sprinkling of the cheese.
- Roll the cutlets up tightly like little jellyrolls and tie them in several places with kitchen string.
- Brown the meat in a skillet in the remaining olive oil. Transfer them as they brown to a dish.
- Cook the onion in the meat drippings over medium heat until they wilt. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, wine and salt to taste. Return the meat rolls with any of their juices to the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.