Stuffed Peppers / Peperoni Imbottiti
We all know what the tomato did for southern Italy, especially Naples but If I had to guess what other southern Italian vegetable is so revered, it would have to be peppers, red, yellow, and green.
The Neapolitans have endless ways to prepare them and they can be a complete meal in their own container depending on the filling. Peperoni imbottiti means stuffed peppers and these are classic with anchovies and capers.
- 4 Yellow Peppers
- 4 ounces stale bread, cut into small cubes.
- 3 anchovies in salt, rinsed, patted dry and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 pound Gaeta olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon capers in salt, rinsed and dried
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- Fine sea salt to taste
- Grinding black pepper
- Lightly oil a baking dish and set aside.
- Char the peppers and peel away the skin. Set aside.
- Fry the bread cubes in 1/4 cup of the olive oil until lightly browned, and drain them on absorbent paper. Mix the bread in a bowl with the anchovies, garlic,olives, capers, parsley, oregano, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Moisten the mixture with the remaining olive oil. Stuff each pepper with some of the mixture. Place them in the baking dish and drizzle them with the 1 teaspoon of oil. Bake for 20 minutes or until very hot.
This recipe was featured on Season 6 - Episode 612.